The Coverups (Green Day) - Million Miles Away (The Plimsouls cover) – San Francisco, Live, 3-8-18, front row, Thee Parkside. Secret Show! Billie Joe: “Is Tré Cool around anymore? Or was he like ‘fu*k this, this is hot!’?” :P
“Our first overseas show!” The band joked.. The previous 3 Coverups shows were held in Albany at the Ivy Room.
Thee Parkside is a bar and music venue which has a capacity of only ~100 people, about half of the capacity of the Ivy Room. The ad flyer for the show featured a picture of Molly Ringwald smoking in the movie The Breakfast Club, and in honor of that, Thee Parkside played the movie on their TV sets above the bar during the show, which Billie Joe pointed out during the concert was pretty cool.
There were many friends and family in attendance and it was essentially a private show, but it was also open to fans that were able to figure out the clues the band left on their social media pages. Admission was only $13, and with it, we also got a raffle ticket. Many joke prizes were raffled off, including such items as a toy helicopter, Mike’s American flag jacket, KISS vinyl records, an American flag ukulele, and a double-neck guitar, lol.
The Coverups, Billie Joe, Mike Dirnt, Jason White, Bill Schneider, Lee Bothwick and Chris Dugan, all hung out after the show, talking with the fans and taking pictures.
Tré Cool joined the band for ‘Sheena Is a Punk Rocker’, ‘A Quick One’, and for ‘Astro Zombies’, Sara (who just had her birthday a couple days ago) sang lead vocals sang lead vocals with her husband Tré on the drums.
Unlike at the shows in Albany, there was a huge mosh pit in the center operating almost continuously throughout the concert. It also got very hot as well and the band joked that the stage was turning into a sauna, lol. Billie Joe: “Is Tré Cool around anymore? Or was he like ‘fu*k this, this is hot!’?” :P
Many of the fans recognized each other from previous Green Day and Coverups concerts. However, because the Thee Parkside could only allow in fans 21 years old and over, some fans could not make it.
Billie Joe (after 2 unclaimed raffle prizes were drawn): OK, I’ve got an idea… Guess what number I’m thinking of in my head… That’s right! (throwing the helicopter into the crowd) lol
Mike Dirnt: ‘Hella’ copter… East Bay lingo there… We came to the show and gave away ‘Hella’ copters… lol
“I didn’t play in that band…” (Mike jokingly replying to a fan who asked him to autograph the KISS album he won in the raffle, lol)
Billie Joe (to a front row fan): "What are you doing? You're taking pictures?... You know that's like the worst angle, ever, right?" The fan then proceeded to hold her camera way above her head (to get a better shot from a downward instead of an upward angle), to which Billie then posed for it. “There you go!” lol
Green Day members to play ‘secret show’ at San Francisco dive bar tonight
1. Color Me Impressed (The Replacements cover)
2. Walking Out on Love (The Nerves cover)
3. I Wanna Be Sedated (Ramones cover)
4. I Can't Explain (The Who cover)
5. Chinese Rocks (The Heartbreakers cover)
6. Don't Change (INXS cover)
7. Where Eagles Dare (Misfits cover)
8. Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield cover)
9. Teenage Kicks (The Undertones cover)
10. I Fought the Law (The Crickets cover)
11. Bastards of Young (The Replacements cover)
12. Million Miles Away (The Plimsouls cover)
13. American Girl (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)
14. Neat Neat Neat (The Damned cover)
15. Sheena Is a Punk Rocker (Ramones cover)
16. Astro Zombies (Misfits cover) (with Sara and Tré Cool)
17. Pretty in Pink (The Psychedelic Furs cover)
18. Dancing With Myself (Generation X cover)
19. Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie cover)
20. Suffragette City (David Bowie cover)
21. Happy (The Rolling Stones cover)
22. Surrender (Cheap Trick cover)
23. Whole Wide World (Wreckless Eric cover)
24. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (Nick Lowe cover)
25. A Quick One (While He's Away) (The Who cover)