Detailing Oracle CPU Consumption: The Missing Link helps Oracle Database Administrators answer this question, "What's Oracle doing with all that CPU?"
For details go to http://www.orapub.com/video-seminar-detailing-cpu-consumption
Here's the problem: While Oracle has the world's most advanced database wait time instrumentation, Oracle does NOT instrument CPU consumption. This presents the Oracle DBA with a tuning handicap because CPU consumption can be a significant component of database time. The unintentional result can be solutions with a wait time bias and solution guessing.
In this session you will learn how to determine where Oracle is consuming CPU down to the Oracle kernel code function level and how this relates to the broader performance situation. Now you will be able to more effectively develop solutions to reduce both CPU consumption and wait time.
Important: The solution created to solve the CPU detail limitation is Linux based. While I'm confident there are very similar solutions in other operating systems, I do not explore this.
What You Will Learn
- How to answer the question, "Is that process doing anything or stuck?"
- How to answer the question, "So what is Oracle doing with all that CPU?"
- How to overcome the problem of understanding limitation when there is little wait time but lots of CPU time.
- Finding the Oracle kernel function when there could be a possible bug.
- Helping you understand what Oracle is doing, "under the hood."
- The problem and what to do about it
- My journey to find a solution
- Creating the solution based on the Linux "perf" tools
- Examples of how to use the tool in production situations
For information on how you can watch the whole seminar or for more great eduction from OraPub, go to www.orapub.com